Sunday 24 July 2011

The dream

Running down a corridor
Green walls, varnished doors
I need to run and run
Boots sounding the beat
On wooden floor
To reach the end, any end
I dash blindly forward
Into the misty distance.
Doors open as I pass
Ghostly heads appear calling
“ Are you ready?”
What do they mean?
Mist thickens, I see nothing
It clears and I halt breathless.
Tall doors arched at the top
Guarded by two cats with hats
They bow and the doors open
Light streams out on green walls.
Into the light I shuffle
Into a room like a court.
A man with a crumpled face 
Wearing a curly wig and specs
Sits high on a bench frowning.
“ Are you ready?” he asks
“ Ready for what?” I reply
“ That is not the answer!”he snarls
“ Take him away!” he orders.
Two cats grab me by my arms
And push me through a varnished door.
I am falling, falling out of control.
There is nothing but rushing air.
I land in a field in the bright sunlight
Girls in floral dresses dancing round a pole
In unison they sing “ Are you ready?”
There is a bright light
Flashing in sequences
Closer and closer
I cannot see!
I am sitting in bed
Sweaty and shaking
A pad by my side is covered 
In dots and dashes
Underneath is written
Are you ready?
The exam is today.


No comments:

Post a Comment